Paul Scarpetta is a Managing Director in the New York office. He advises on investor relations and long-term corporate positioning programs for clients across a range of industries. His recent work has focused on clients in the financial services, hospitality, diversified industrial, petroleum, chemical and medical products sectors. Drawing on his experience as a buy-side investment analyst and Investor Relations Officer, Paul also advises clients in crisis situations, M&A, shareholder activism, management changes, restructurings/recapitalizations and security breaches.
Recent engagement and representation highlights include:
- Symetra Financial Corporation on its acquisition by Sumitomo Life
- Chubb Corporation on its acquisition by ACE Limited
- Springleaf Holdings on its acquisition of OneMain Financial from Citigroup
- Fairholme Capital Management on issues related to its investments in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Ambac Financial Group on corporate positioning and investor relations
- Mondelez on investor relations
- PHH Corp. on the sale of its Fleet business
- Aspen Insurance Holdings Ltd. on it defense against a hostile offer from Endurance Specialty Holdings Ltd.
- Synchrony Financial on its IPO
- AVG Technologies on its acquisition of Location Labs
- Timken Company on its proxy contest against Relational Investors and CalSTRS
- Navistar on issues related to activist investors
- SunTrust Banks, Inc. on an announcement of balance sheet restructuring actions
- Popular, Inc. (parent company of Banco Popular) on investor relations issues
Paul joined Sard Verbinnen in January 2008 with more than 20 years of experience in financial analysis and investor relations. Most recently, he was a Managing Director at Iridian Asset Management, an institutional money manager with $10 billion in assets under management, where he was responsible for equity investments in the financial services sector. Prior to that, he worked at Ruane Cunniff & Company, an institutional money manager with $14 billion in assets under management. From 1991-1998, Paul worked at Freddie Mac, where he held a number of positions including Vice President of Financial Planning and Shareholder Relations. In 1995, Mr. Scarpetta was cited in an Institutional Investor Magazine article entitled “America’s Best Investor Relations Officers”.
Paul earned a B.S. degree with distinction from the University of Virginia and an M.B.A with distinction from Northwestern University.