John Christiansen is a Managing Director in San Francisco and Co-Head of the firm’s West Coast offices. He advises a wide range of clients on strategic communications, including contested and friendly M&A transactions, corporate positioning, crisis situations, proxy contests, management changes and IPOs, as well as ongoing media relations and investor relations programs.
Current and recent engagement and representation highlights include:
- Qualcomm on its hostile defense against Broadcom
- Amazon on its $13 billion acquisition of Whole Foods Market
- Avaya on its Chapter 11 restructuring
- Oaktree Capital Management on long-term positioning and portfolio company announcements
- HP on its separation into Hewlett Packard Enterprise and HP Inc., and HPE on two subsequent spin-merge transactions
Before joining SVC in 2009, John was head of West Coast Equity Capital Markets for Cowen and Company, where he was responsible for the origination and execution of over $26 billion of public and private equity offerings. He also worked extensively with companies on investor targeting, shareholder outreach, positioning and investor relations.
Prior to Cowen, John spent over ten years at Morgan Stanley in Investment Banking and Institutional Equities. As a member of Morgan Stanley’s Technology Investment Banking Group in Silicon Valley, he was involved in 49 financing and M&A transactions. He also helped establish the firm’s Institutional Corporate Marketing group, which worked with companies on their investor marketing activities.
John holds a B.A. magna cum laude with high honors from Dartmouth College and a Master of Public Policy degree from Harvard University.