David Millar is a Principal in the New York office. He provides communications strategies and support for activist campaigns, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, operational and financial restructurings, regulatory issues, and white collar defense matters.
Recent notable assignments include:
- PartnerRe’s proposed amalgamation with AXIS Capital and eventual sale agreement with EXOR S.p.A
- StanCorp Financial’s sale to Meiji Yasuda
- Protective Life Corporation’s sale to Dai-Ichi Life
- The Children’s Place’s defense against activist shareholders Macellum Advisors and Barington Capital
- Casablanca Capital’s activist campaign against Cliffs Natural Resources
- MSCI’s defense against agitation by ValueAct Capital
- Omnova Solutions’ defense against activist Barington Capital and subsequent settlement agreement
- Moelis & Company’s IPO
Prior to joining Sard Verbinnen & Co. in 2013, David spent five years in the New York office of Finsbury, where he provided strategic communications and media relations advice to clients across a range of industries, with a particular focus on financial services. His clients included a number of global hedge funds, funds of hedge funds and private equity firms.
David received a BA in Philosophy from Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut and studied political philosophy and labor relations at the University of Cape Town in Cape Town, South Africa.